Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Nutting Girls!

I had the day off Friday, so Cheryl and I went down to Carlsbad to take a class by Julie Nutting. Julie is the author of "Collage Couture: Techniques for Creating Fashionable Art."

You know how I'm so into the "She Art" girls right now... well Julie has her own type of art girl... I'll call them Nutting Girls!

Here we are with Julie Nutting.

I wanted to share how we make the backgrounds. It's different than the backgrounds for She Art girls. Julie uses only paint with brushes, stamps and stencils. In the following steps, Cheryl's background is on the left, and mine is on the right.

We started with a coat of paint... most of the ladies used a royal blue. I used teal, Cheryl used light blue, and the lady next to me used green. Then we stenciled patterns with a doily and added texture with white paint.

Next, we add a glaze of color over everything. Cheryl used pink. Me? well, I had a problem with glazing... mine is more spotted than glazed. Julie had issues with mine... she likes her backgrounds more muted so that it won't distract from the girl... okay, I admit, I had issues with my background at this point too.

Now we redo the doily stenciling, add stamps and cover all with more white for texture... in my case, make that LOTS of white to cover up my mess, lol!

Even though all the ladies did their own thing, we all ended up with very similar looking backgrounds. I guess if everyone works in layers with the same 6 paint colors, everyone will eventually look the same.

Everyone added hair to their girl to make it look like them. I'm not delusional, I know that girl doesn't look like me, but she has my hair, lol!

When we got home, I did a little more work on the girls. I think it's from being in the She Art class, but I like my girls with words on them. I found a journal spot that I added to Cheryl's girl.

My girl got a nice sentiment stamp to break up the plain center of the doily. I also changed the huge white flower for a nicer smaller flower.

So what do you think of them? Cheryl likes them better than She Art girls. I think my style is going to fall somewhere in between the She Art and the Nutting girls.

4 comments:

  1. Joni and Cheryl they are both BEAUTIFUL!! I LOVE them!! I agree about the wording.. it ads the perfect touch!!! What a GREAT class!!
    Hope your weekend is going WELL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like them both too! Can't wait to see more of your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joni, these are absolutely stunning. I love the step by step photos. I love to see the process. And the colors, i'm swooning over the colors. Love all the greens and teals and blues. Simply stunning works of art!! And their skirts are just fabulous. Oh, I love them!!

    Yes, i'll be quiet now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are awesome!! Love the colours and the little touches you added to yours. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete