Monday, July 28, 2008

Obon Sunday!

We spent Sunday at the Norwalk Japanese Community Center Obon Festival. This is traditionally a Buddhist celebration, but here it's celebrated as a Japanese cultural event. It started with a Hula Show. My mom was in the show. My kids and I agree that she's the best dancer out there... the prettiest too! In the photo she's in the center (with the striped skirt).

Then there is the ondo (Japanese dancing). Here are the kids and my mom all dressed and ready!

Here is us dancing. Going down the line: my mom, my nephew, my niece, my daughter, my youngest niece (you can just see her leg), my son, and me.

We stayed until the end of the marathon raffle drawing. No one we knew won the $1000 prize... but, my daughter won a keychain watch, and my niece won a tree (It's a good thing my brother brought his mini-van!), LOL!

3 comments:

  1. Way to go on the prizes! A watch and a tree! YAHOO!!! Looks like a fun festival.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that looks like a VERY fun festival!! To fun gotta love winning!!
    Have a GREAT day Joni!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics, your mom looks fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete